Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What does a building manager actually do?

Traditionally a building manager observes the building and repairs/replaces any failed or broken items found on their daily inspections. However, as buildings increase in size and complexity, a building managers job is now more centred around the planning and implementation of detailed maintenance plans ensuring that all aspects of a facility are compliant with current legislation.

At PointFS, we work closely with all trades to ensure all necessary information is transferred before works begin, and all contracted works are completed to an acceptable standard and within the allotted time frame. In between these larger projects, we also complete small maintenance and caretaking jobs to keep the facility in top condition. Finally, we work with all owners and tenants to resolve as many issues as we can.

2. Can you fix something inside my unit?

Short answer is no. Our services lie with the Owner’s Corporation and are limited to common areas only, areas that are usually accessible and usable by occupants of the building, not just individual units. We can however recommend trades to complete most scopes of works within your unit.

3. I’m moving in/out, what do I need to do?

This one may vary between sites, but usually the first step would be to alert the building manager and strata manager of the dates you intend to move in or out of the building, ideally this would be done at least 24-48hrs prior to the move. Doing this allows us time to install lift protection blankets and/or reserve an operating key for the lift (should either of the latter be available), guaranteeing you always utilise the protected lift while moving in or out. This is important as any damages caused to the lifts during your move are likely to be passed on to the parties responsible for the damage, and lift damage can be very expensive.

4. What is a defect?

A building defect is work undertaken that either has failed or is not in compliance with the Building Code of Australia and the Australian Standards.

Defective work can be due to faulty materials and/or workmanship whereby the item is not fit for its intended purpose.

Defects can take many different forms ranging from bad tiling jobs right through to severely leaking balconies caused by incorrect application of waterproofing membranes in the construction phase.

5. Can you recommend a good plumber/electrician/painter etc.?

We can recommend multiple trades for almost all requirements. Sometimes we will recommend the preferred site contractors, other times we may recommend alternative trades people to ensure work is completed in a timely manner.

6. I’ve lost my access pass/FOB access, how do I get a new one?

To get a new access pass/FOB access, you first need to contact your Property Manager, or the buildings Strata Manager for approval. Once approval is confirmed, you will need to visit the on-site manager during site business hours so they can assign a new access pass to your unit.

Photo ID is required to be presented before we can issue you the new access pass.

You will be responsible for paying a replacement fee when picking up your access pass. For more information about the replacement fee, please contact your Strata Manager.

7. I’ve locked myself out of my apartment, can my building manager let me in?

Unfortunately, no. You will need to contact a locksmith as building managers do not have access to individual units/apartments.

8. What happens if I lock myself out of my secure building?

You will need to visit the onsite building manager during the site business hours.

For after-hours assistance, you will need to contact your property manager (if renting or leasing) or a locksmith.

9. How do I keep my building safe and how do you?

Residents can maintain the safety of their building by ensuring all secure doors are closed behind them, reporting any issues to their building manager, and cleaning up after themselves.

When entering secure carparks, be sure to slow down and wait for the gates to close behind you, ensuring no one tailgates, either by car or on foot.

PointFS aims to keep facilities safe by performing daily walk-throughs of sites, ensuring security doors function appropriately, adhering to maintenance schedules and complying with WHS standards.

10. What happens if the building garage door stops working?

This is considered an emergency, please contact your building manager during site business hours.

For after-hours assistance, you will need to contact the facility’s Strata Manager or their allocated after hours contact.

11. What happens if my building has a lift and it breaks?

If you are trapped inside the lift, contact the emergency contact number displayed within the lift (or press and hold the button with the Telephone symbol), this will contact the lift company and is the fastest method of getting released.

If a lift is not operational, and it is during business hours, contact either your Building Manager, or Strata Manager, and alert them to the issue so they can then arrange the necessary service provider to repair the lift.

12. What happens if my building garbage chute gets blocked?

If this occurs during site business hours, alert your Building Manager or Strata manager so they can then arrange the necessary contractors.

A blocked bin chute is generally not considered an emergency, best practice is to alert your Building or Strata Manager via email and place a notice on the chute advising of the blockage so further residents don’t add to the blockage. Your Managers will then arrange necessary contractors during business hours the following day

13. What happens if my pet causes damage to common property?

Report the damage to your Strata Managing Agent and they will (generally) instruct your Building Manager to site the damage and repair it if its within their abilities to do so, or engage the appropriate contractor.

14. What happens if my neighbour has a barking dog?

Contact your Strata Managing Agent. Most facilities have House Rules set out that specify regulations each resident must adhere to regarding pets and their wellbeing, as well as surrounding units and their occupants’ wellbeing.

Your Managing strata agent will be able to provide you with a copy of these House Rules.

15. Someone has parked in my carpark, what do I do?

Carparks are considered private property, and the unit owner’s responsibility.

General advice would be to place a non-threatening letter on the vehicle notifying them that this is a private parking space and to remove their vehicle ASAP.

If this does not work, your Building Manager or Strata Manager may be able to assist in identifying the offending party and have them move their vehicle.

Should the vehicle continue to park within your space, and the owner not be identified, as the space owner you are within your right to have the vehicle towed.

Car space related issues are not considered an emergency and until the vehicle has cleared the space, you will need to find alternative parking.

16. How do I make a noise complaint?

If the noise is occurring during business hours, contact you Strata Manager and advise them of the circumstances surrounding the issue, it will usually be followed up with the offending party from there.

If the noise is occurring outside of business hours, and is considered to be unreasonable, and either in breach of House Rules, or the ACTs Noise Standards, please contact the ACT Police and have them attend to the problem.

It is not recommended that residents put themselves in a volatile situation where their safety may be compromised.